- Newly created position
- Full-time, Fixed-term to June 2021 (part-time options considered)
- Located in Newcastle
Opportunity for a Research Associate with a focus on Consumer & Community Involvement
Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI) has earned a reputation for translating its world-class medical research into real and immediate benefits for patients and their families. It’s an exciting time at HMRI - with new leadership and building capabilities for growth – we are broadening our research scope and funding opportunities and are now looking for a Research Associate - Consumer and Community Involvement to work directly with NSW Regional Health Partners (NSWRHP).
About the Role
The Research Associate will work with NSWRHP to coordinate and support the involvement of consumers and community members in health and medical research by its partners, and support the conduct of consumer-centred health and medical research by NSWRHP itself. Reporting to the NSWRHP Project Lead, this role will:
- Work collaboratively with the eight partners of NSWRHP to implement the strategies outlined in the NSWRHP Strategic Plan;
- Increase consumer and community involvement in health and medical research by:
- Supporting researchers to involve consumers and community in their health and medical research/initiatives.
- Providing advice and information on policies, procedures and other aspects of consumer involvement in health research
- Liaising with other Translational Research Centres to progress and implement national consumer and community involvement strategies.
- Conducting research on consumer and community involvement within NSWRHP and Australian Health Research Alliance (AHRA).
- Developing and delivering training workshops to health professionals, researchers and consumers involved in research
- Maintaining the Consumer Involvement Toolkit on the NSWRHP website.
- Support the successful funding and completion of NSWRHP research and related activities by:
- Undertaking literature searches
- Preparing and submitting ethics applications
- Assisting with data collection
- Analysing data including qualitative data coding and quantitative data cleaning
- Drafting documents such as manuscripts for peer reviewed journals, policy briefs and other content such as web pages
- Assisting in the preparation of grant applications
- Preparing and potentially undertaking presentations
- Leading small research projects
What you’ll need to succeed
- A relevant degree or similar qualification, or equivalent knowledge and skills developed through professional experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of consumer and community participation, and experience implementing consumer involvement.
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative health research and preparing material for publication.
- High level written communication skills including the preparation of journal articles, resources, website content and reports.
- Highly developed verbal communication and interpersonal skills with a proven capability to interact and consult with a wide range of stakeholders, and build key relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver training.
- Involvement in health research with consumer and community involvement as an element.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively as a member of the NSWRHP team.
- Current NSW drivers licence and ability to travel for work.
This position is offered as a 5-days per week full-time, fixed-term contract to June 2021 (with the possibility of renewal subject to availability of funding). Part time options will also be considered. Please note that the Research Associate will be based at NSWRHP, located at James Fletcher Hospital for four days per week, and one day per week at HMRI.
How to Apply
All applications should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include a cover letter, current resume including at least two (2) work-related referees, and responses to all of the selection criteria outlined above. Applicants will be assessed against the selection criteria for this position. Please ensure you read the position description prior to submitting an application.
For those currently employed by a NSWRHP partner organisation a secondment may be possible.
Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.
For further enquiries please contact Lisa McFayden (NSWRHP Project Lead) on 02 4964 7160.