- Full-time – fixed term (three years)
- Commencing February 2020
- Located in Newcastle
The Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI), has earned a reputation for translating its world-class medical research into real and immediate benefits for patients and their families. It’s an exciting time at HMRI, with new leadership and building capabilities for growth. We are broadening our research scope and funding opportunities and are now looking for a Senior Bioinformatician to support the Bioinformatics and integrated data services.
About the Role
The Senior Bioinformatician will consult with researchers and clinicians in the design, implementation, analysis and seamless delivery of bioinformatics services to support cutting-edge medical research activities at HMRI. Working closely with the Senior Bioinformatics and Integrated Data Analyst, this role is responsible for integrating high throughput sequencing data with clinical, imaging and multi-omics. Specifically, this role will:
- Perform quality control, assembly, annotation, and analysis of high throughput next generation multi-omics data;
- Apply and develop computational biology techniques to the analysis of these and other large medical datasets;
- Develop bioinformatics data analysis pipelines in standalone machines and high-performance computing clusters, including cloud computing;
- Collaborate with researchers in the design, testing and quality control of analytical approaches.
What you’ll need to succeed
- Post-graduate/doctoral qualifications in computer science, statistics, mathematics or engineering with a background in applied bioinformatics and extensive relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the application of state-of-the-art tools and techniques for bioinformatics analysis.
- Advanced knowledge of biological cellular processes at the molecular level and current measurement techniques capabilities and limitations.
- Demonstrated ability in working collaboratively in a multidisciplinary environment to answer complex research questions.
- Project management skills, including ability to prioritise multiple deadlines and managing client expectations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including high quality reporting and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in consulting within the biomedical industry or government.
This position is offered on a full-time, fixed-term three-year contract (with the possibility of renewal subject to availability of funding).
How to Apply
All applications should be forwarded to email@example.com and must include a cover letter, current resume including at least two (2) work-related referees, and responses to all of the selection criteria outlined above.
Please note that applications that do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
Only candidates with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position.
For further questions contact Michelle Gillam on 02 4042 0500.