What are the aims of this study?
We aim to get a better insight into what food marketing instances adolescents aged 13 to 16 years are exposed to on their social media.
Who can participate in the research?
We are looking for participants 13-16 years old who are active on at least one social media platform at least once a week.
This study is suitable for you if you:
- Are (or know someone) 13-16 years old
- Are active on at least one social media platform, for example, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter or TikTok, at least once a week
- Understand the procedures involved, and both you and your parents agree for you to participate in the study by giving full informed consent
- Are willing to fill in an online survey about your age, gender, postcode, and social media usage
- Are willing to show the main researcher the feeds of up to three social media platforms you are active on, via a shared screen function on Zoom
- Agree with your feeds being screen recorded and saved on the secure cloud environment of the University of Newcastle, with the purpose of collecting and de-identifying all food marketing instances and delete all other content
- Are willing to answer a few questions about the viewed social media feeds on Zoom
What is involved?
Eligible participants will be asked to fill in an online survey (max 10 minutes); be present at an online (Zoom) meeting with the main researcher, which involves scrolling through personal social media feeds (10 minutes per platform) and a screen recording of these, and orally answering a few questions about the participant’s opinions of the viewed social media feeds (max 10 minutes). All participants will receive a $60 Kmart Gift Card after participation.
Register your interest
If you are interested or know someone who might be interested in participating in this study, or if you have any questions, please contact the main researcher of this project Daphne van der Bend by emailing email@example.com.
Download a participant information sheet here
Download a parent/guardian information sheet here