Are you pregnant?
Researchers are seeking volunteers to participate in research aimed at helping women to have a healthy weight gain in pregnancy.
Why is the research being done?
Women who have a healthy weight gain in pregnancy are more likely to have a pregnancy and birth that is free of complications. Various methods have been tried to assist women to have a healthy weight gain but most of these involve intensive interventions such as regular counselling. These types of interventions are expensive for the health service and onerous for pregnant women.
This research aims to test a smartphone App that aims to assist pregnant women to have a healthy weight gain in pregnancy. In addition, we hope to better understand the factors that influence weight gain in pregnancy for women so that we can improve maternity services.
Who can participate in the research?
- women over the age of 18 years and of any BMI category (it is not just aimed at overweight or obese women)
- planning to have your baby at the Centenary Hospital for Women and Children (ACT), Calvary Hospital (ACT), John Hunter Hospital, Maitland Hospital, or Port Macquarie Base Hospital (NSW)
- are pregnant (no more than 14 weeks) with one baby only (not twins)
- are fluent in English language
- have access to the Internet for completion of online questionnaires
- have your own smart phone, email address and scales to weigh yourself
- are free from diabetes at the beginning of pregnancy
What would you be asked to do?
If you choose to participate, you will be randomised (like tossing a coin) to one of two groups: (i) usual pregnancy care, (ii) usual pregnancy care with the addition of use of the Eating4Two smartphone App. This study lasts for six months from the birth of your baby and involves completion of a number of questionnaires throughout pregnancy (hard copy and online) and an invitation to be interviewed 6-8 weeks after the birth of your baby.
Register your interest
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact our Eating4Two research assistants by phone or email on 0413 853 695 or email@example.com