HMRI is a company limited by guarantee (ABN 27 081 436 919), which is overseen by a Board of Directors that has representation from the University of Newcastle, Hunter New England Local Health District and the Community.
The HMRI Executive oversees the operational activities of the organisation, and ensures HMRI operates within a strong set of commercial and financial management governance principles. The HMRI Research Council advises the Board on scientific matters and research management processes, ensuring that Hunter research is relevant and of high quality, and is conducted in accordance with the National Code of Conduct for Health and Medical Research.
The Hunter Medical Research Institute (ABN: 27 081 436 919) is an Australian Public Company.
HMRI is a Health Promotion Charity and has been endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office as a deductible gift recipient under Subdivision 30-BA of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 (Subdivision 30-B 1.1.5) as a public institution whose principal activity is promoting the prevention or the control of diseases in human beings.
See full details for the Hunter Medical Research Institute on the ATO website here.
HMRI is authorised to fundraise is all Australian States and Territories:
- New South Wales [Registration Number: CFN16214]
- Australian Capital Territory [Licence Number: 19000847]
- Queensland [Registration Number: CH2633]
- Victoria [Registration Number: 13419]
- Western Australia [Licence Number: CC 21780]
- South Australia [Licence No: CCP2151]
US Equivalency Determination
NGOSource completed an Equivalency Determination for the Hunter Medical Research Institute in 2015. They advised the following:
We appreciate your responsiveness to NGOsource’s ED process. We are pleased to inform you that we have completed our analysis. We were able to certify that your organization is equivalent to a U.S. public charity. An ED certificate for your organization is now available in our repository.
Other U.S.-based funders that are members of NGOsource can use the information we gathered as well as our legal analysis. If an ED is needed again, we can provide a certificate for the funder within one business day.
We encourage you to inform your U.S.-based funders that you have completed an ED with NGOsource. Doing so may help you get funding faster and more easily. NGOsource certifies EDs for U.S. grantmakers, so the grantmaker can meet their tax compliance requirements and give to your NGO with fewer restrictions.
HMRI relies on funding to continue supporting and enabling Hunter researchers to advance the understanding, prevention and treatment of disease and other health issues across the world. HMRI would like to recognise the following funding sources, and acknowledge the role they play in improving the health of our community.
- NSW Ministry of Health, through the Office of Health and Medical Research, for providing infrastructure funding through the NSW Medical Research Support Program (MRSP).
- NSW Ministry of Health for providing ACGRBased Bonus Funding under the Medical Research Support Program (MRSP).
- NSW Ministry of Health for providing infrastructure funding through the NSW Population Health and Health Services Research Support (PHHSRS) program.
- Commonwealth Department of Health for capital funding for the HMRI Building through the Health and Hospitals Fund.
- We would also like to acknowledge the generous support of all of our donors and volunteers – those who give to or help us run appeals, events, our benefactors and corporate partners.
Our work and that of all Hunter health and medical researchers is due in no small part to your contributions. Thank you.
Download a .pdf copy of the past four HMRI Annual Reports. If you require a high resolution document or a copy of earlier Annual Reports, please contact the HMRI Corporate Office on +61 2 4042 0000.
Download a .pdf copy of the past three HMRI Audited Financial Reports. If you require a copy of earlier reports, please contact the HMRI Corporate Office on +61 2 4042 0000.